First Pages – Writing Critique
Writers are invited to submit their best first page of an unpublished manuscript by Friday, May 18, 2012 to be read and commented on by a panel of international publishing experts before an audience.
Your first page must be formatted as follows:
1. In the top right-hand corner, list the genre (picture book, chapter book, middle- grade novel, young-adult novel) and word count of the entire manuscript.
2. Halfway down in the middle of the page should be the title. The beginning of the manuscript runs below this.
3. Use Times New Roman font, size 12, and double-spaced. (Approximately 100 words will fit in this space.)
4. Margins should be one-inch all around. No identifying information need to be given. Authors can remain anonymous.
5. Please send your formatted first page as a .doc or .pdf attachment by May 18, 2012. Entries will only be accepted by EMAIL (with the subject “AFCC – FIRST PAGES”) to [email protected]
Please note that we will try and read as many submissions as possible, but cannot guarantee all submissions will be read. Pages will only be accepted via email and only with the proper formatting. Only one submission will be accepted per registered AFCC participant.
First Look – Illustration Critique
For Illustrators and Author-Illustrators
Illustrators are invited to submit six unpublished illustrations by Friday May 18, 2012 to be reviewed and commented on by a panel of international publishing experts before an audience.
Each .jpeg should show one illustrated page or spread from a children’s book project. The three images, once approved, will be shown at First Look in a PowerPoint slideshow.
1. SIX (6) illustrations are to be submitted, from the same project or book.
2. Files much be in .jpeg format, resolution 72dpi, maximum 850px wide, and maximum 500 high.
3. Please label each .jpeg with your name (or pseudonym or marked “anonymous”) and name of the project or book at the lower right corner.
4. Entries will only be accepted by EMAIL (with the subject “AFCC – FIRST LOOK”) to [email protected]
5. Please include the following information: Name or pseudonym – please indicate if you wish to remain anonymous and a three-sentence description of the project or book.
6. The deadline for submitting your artwork is May 18, 2012.
Please note we will try to review as many submissions as possible for comments by the panel at the festival, but cannot guarantee all submissions will be viewed. Files will only be accepted via email and only with the proper formatting. Only one submission of 6 images will be accepted per registered AFCC participant.